Letters | Week 7 | July 19, 2020 | Scott Gossenberger
7 “To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. 8 I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. 9 I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you. 10 Since you have kept My command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth. 11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. 12 The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name. 13 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
WHAT IS PERSUADING YOU TO GIVE UP?
- When we reach a dead-end we want to give up. (Revelation 3:8)
- When our inadequacies are spotlighted, we want to give up. (Revelation 3:8)
- When we are criticized painfully, we want to give up. (Revelation 3:9)
WHAT IS THE KEY TO HOLDING ON AND GETTING TO THE VICTORY?
I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.
- I commit myself daily to humble dependence on God.
- I commit to following Jesus recklessly and not just being a fan.
- I commit to waiting hopefully on God’s timing.
THERE IS A REWARD FOR HOLDING ON.
- God will vindicate me.
- God will protect my faith.
- God will use me to strengthen His church.